Opening day for baseball season and just 14 days left until the 1040 filing date, our next big deadline. We appreciate the outstanding effort everyone is putting in and look forward to the breather we will get at this deadline and for our financial services group the April 30 deadline.
This morning, after a special request, I’m sending a refresher email related to business travel time and expenses. Regardless if you are new to the firm or have been here for years, it’s always good to receive (and read!) an email like this, ensuring you are adhering to our firm’s policies and procedures. Below is a summary of our time and expense policy as it relates to business travel:
Business Related Travel Time:
- Occurring before or after the normal workday should NOT be recorded on your daily timesheet, unless it is MORE than an HOUR away:*
- If the time (greater than an hour) is incurred traveling to a CLIENT – then the time is chargeable.
- If the time (greater than an hour) is incurred traveling for any other business reason (meeting in other office, CPE, etc.) then the time is NON-chargeable.
- If you travel back to the office after a business meeting, the time should be recorded on your daily timesheet:
- If you were at a CLIENT, the time is chargeable, otherwise it is non-chargeable.
- If you travel during the course of the workday, the time should be recorded on your daily timesheet:
- From the office to a client (or vice versa) – Chargeable
- From office to any other business meeting (or vice versa) – Non-chargeable
- Weekend Business Travel – Should be recorded on your daily timesheet, but the time is non-chargeable.
Expenses Related to Business Travel:
- Mileage, for business travel, in excess of normal commute is reimbursable:
- If traveling to client, it is chargeable
- Other business travel – non-chargeable
- Tolls, parking, etc. – Reimbursable for expenses you normally do not incur on your regular commute from your home to the office:
- If incurred while traveling to a client, it is chargeable, otherwise it is non-chargeable.
If you have any questions, please contact Joan Kampo, Director of the Human Resources.