As we get deeper into tax season and feeling the ever-growing stress of volume and deadlines, we need to be reminded of the reasons why we work as hard as we do. I recently read a posthumous blog post by author and motivational speaker, Jim Rohn, titled, “A Good Life Contains These 6 Essentials.” It really hit home for me, so I’d like to share it with you this morning:
- Productivity – You won’t be happy if you don’t produce. The game of life is not rest. Yes, we must rest, but only long enough to gather strength to get back to productivity. What’s the reason for the seasons and the seeds, the soil and the sunshine, the rain and the miracle of life? It’s to see what you can do with it—to try your hand to see what you can do. As we discussed at the STOF, our work is valuable to the economy and helps the movement capital and the investment in jobs and growth of GDP.
- Good friends – Friendship is probably the greatest support system in the world, so don’t deny yourself the time to develop it. Nothing can match it. It’s extraordinary in its benefit. Friends are those wonderful people who know all about you and still like you.
- Your culture – Language, music, ceremonies, traditions, dress. All of that is so vitally important that you must keep it alive. The uniqueness of all of us, when blended together, brings vitality, energy, power, influence, and rightness to the world.
- Spirituality – It helps to form the foundation of the family that builds the nation. And make sure you study, practice and teach—don’t be careless about the spiritual part of your nature because it’s what makes us who we are, different from dogs, cats, birds and mice.
- Don’t miss anything – Go to everything you possibly can. Buy a ticket to everything you possibly can. Go see everything and experience all you possibly can. Live a vital life. If you live well, you will earn well. If you live well, it will show in your face; it will show in the texture of your voice. There will be something unique and magical about you if you live well. It will infuse not only your personal life but also your business life. And it will give you a vitality nothing else can give.
- Your family and the inner circle – Invest in them, and they’ll invest in you. Inspire them, and they’ll inspire you. Take care of the details with your inner circle. If a parent walks out of the house and can still feel their child’s kiss on their face all day, they are a powerful person. If a person walks out of the house and can still feel the imprint of their spouse’s arms around them from a big bear hug, they are invincible all day. It’s the special stuff with your inner circle that makes you strong and powerful and influential. So don’t miss that opportunity. A prophet said, “There are many virtues and values, but here’s the greatest: one person caring for another.” There is no greater value than love.
So make sure in your busy day to remember the true purpose and the reasons you do what you do.